Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Favorites

Favorites are funny things because you must pick what you like best without knowing every single thing! For example, no one has ever seen all the colors, watched all the movies, or read all the books in the world yet people still ask, "What is your favorite_____?" And more often than not we have an answer! I certainly do when it comes to books. I will not say that all of these books are my unchangeable favorites but until I read every book ever written this is the best I have got.

I would have to say the thing I enjoy reading the most is the Bible. I mean how many other books can you read over and over again and still be surprised when you open it again?! So incredible. I digress.

So my favorite stand alone, non-series book would have to be The Host by Stephanie Meyer. There is a ton of argument about how good/bad her other books are but I don't care about those right now. People say don't judge a book by its cover (which I totally do- not gonna lie! If the cover looks boring I'm most likely going to move on) but I say don't judge a book by its author! So many people I know have avoided this book because Stephanie Meyer wrote it when it is truly a good story. I have heard this book described as sci-fi for people who don't like sci-fi. Not only is it clever but the characters are deep and relatable! I love its multifaceted plot line as well. Leaves me on the edge of my seat. It is a page turner even after reading it six times. At the risk of too many spoiler alerts I won't say specifics. However, if you are at risk for spoilers it means you haven't read it which means you should exit this blog and go do that... Do not see the movie version. Especially if you love the book. I cried in the theater because the adaptation was so disappointing.

Anyways, I guess I will move on to series. My absolute no contest favorite series is The Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini. The best thing to compare it to is The Lord of the Rings. Honestly though, its uniqueness makes it unlike any other fantasy adventure. The writing is beyond fantastic! I love, love, love feeling like I was transported somewhere by a story and each of the four books in this series does that. Eragon, the first book, is a wonderful beginning, balancing intrigue and ingenious plots that make you want to have more and more. Even more impressive is the author was only 15 when he started writing it. I got to see him speak and get my books signed. He told us that the original name for the titular character, Eragon, was Kevin! It is so neat to learn things like that and makes me love the series even more. The books only get more impressive as they go. Eldest, the sequel, brings in another great character to root for. Then there is Brisingr and Inheritance. I have to either write nothing or everything about these books. If I started in I would never stop! I have read the series through three times each (once through reading out loud to my husband which was so much fun). I will reiterate my position on movie adaptations. They are usually not worth it. Eragon was no exception. Proof is in the fact that the movie was not good enough to make the sequel into a movie! Take that, Hollywood. 

I sort of hope I convinced everyone to read these books...after all if they are my favorites they have to be good right!? No? You mean I'm not the best authority on what books to read!? Well then comment your favorites so I can expand my giant list of things to read!

If you want to see more blog posts than give me money so I can pay for my own internet... ;)



1 comment:

  1. This is so hard... I feel like my genre preferences are constantly fluctuating so my favorites move up and down the list! Just a few off the top of my head though: Cell by Stephen King, To Kill a Mockingbird, Happy Wives Club, How Eskimos Keep Their Babies Warm, and the last few of the Harry Potter series =]

    ReplyDelete