Thursday, March 10, 2016

Current Reads

Until I had to think about it, I did not realize just how many books I am reading right now. There's the one on the back of the toilet tank, the two on my nightstand, the bookmarked one on my bookshelf, the one I half read before it was due at the library and must now check out again, and of course the Bible (which I hope is always a current read).

The name of the book on my toilet tank is Black Earth: Dark Masquerade. It is by David N. Alderman, a local, self-published author I once met at Bookmans. This is the third novel in the Black Earth series and, like its companions, relatively scary. It is not on my nightstand so I am not tempted to read it before I go to bed and scare t
he bejeezes out of myself! Plot lines include the end of the world, demons, and a psychotic businessman among other things. It is so far really interesting. I hope it doesn't get much darker!

One of the two books on my nightstand is Peter and the Shadow Thieves. My husband and I have made a tradition of me reading aloud to him. We are currently on this series by Dave Berry and Ridley Pearson. This is the sequel to Peter and the Starcatchers. It is a very detailed and clever take on the back story of Peter Pan and how he got to Neverland. I will for sure be reading these to my kids at some point in the future, too!

The second book that now resides on my nightstand is called Clear Your Clutter with Feng Shui by Karen Kingston. I am only a few pages into it but it is interesting to me since I am a semi-minimalist. I will definitely say more on this book later once I have read more.

In its rightful place on my bookshelf is Inkdeath by Cornelia Funke. I have already read the Inkspell series of which this is the final installment. I was interrupted during my re-reading of the series, however, and have yet to pick it back up. It has been over a year! BUT...I will finish it someday! Hence counting it as current. This series is a great one. All about if books could come to life! Wouldn't that be something. The main character even gets a readers most fervent wish: to live inside their favorite story. It does have a bit of a "careful what you wish for" motif to it.

The half read library book was also part of a series! The O'Malley series by Dee Henderson is wonderful. I am on number six, The Rescuer. I don't read a ton of romance books but these I make an exception for. They are not inappropriate and have underlying plots of mystery. I definitely suggest them if you like suspense, especially the prequel, Danger in the Shadows.

I just finished Revelation in my Bible and actually took the time to understand it! Now I have a goal to read through the first chapters of every book of the Bible, then the second chapters and so on until I have read the whole thing all over again. Just to keeps things interesting!

With some self control I can finish all these without starting new ones...Wish me luck.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck! My currently reading list is always ridiculous too, as you know. Right now I’m reading one chapter every morning from What a Difference a Mom Makes, If I Run by Terri Blackstone on the Kindle while I’m putting the kids to bed, The Quality of Silence by Rosamund Lipton every chance I get, a Bible story collection with the kids and alternating between a few different daily devotionals just to keep things fresh. Ridiculous! But I wouldn’t have it any other way. ;]

    ReplyDelete